Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Asio Protocol Decoder interfaces/templates
From: Rodrigo Madera (rodrigo.madera_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-30 19:27:17

Protocol encoding and decoding.
I found a library that promises this, which ironically is a candidate for
Boost inclusion:
CPP Net Lib (cpp-netlib.wiki.sourceforge.net).

I was hoping to get the library and find a set of classes used for protocol
data marshalling but instead it looks like the creator focused only on an
HTTP client, which is nice, but limited (for now, at least).

I joined the mailing list for the library and I asked if there are any plans
to actually develop something more complete and capable of dealing with
binary elements on a protocol.

This is not hard at all, and I could (and as I see it I will be forced to)
write some basic wireframe framework that actually does the protocol
parsing. This is something that, as I commented earlier, is done very nicely
by Apache MINA for Java.

My hope now is that this library fulfils it's duty to actually implement
protocol helpers completely and continue to do so the Boost way (the "right"
way).

I will continue my development from what I downloaded from them and then
contribute it back for others like me to have such a facility in the future.
Though I hope I am not reinventing something out there.

Regards,
Rodrigo Madera