Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Multi-index] hash_unique memory consumption vs std::map
From: Michael Fawcett (michael.fawcett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-06 16:34:55

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Adam Merz <adammerz_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Michael Fawcett <michael.fawcett <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> I investigated the node structure that my std::map implementation is
>> using. It has an overhead of 3 pointers and 2 chars. This is with
>> Visual Studio 2005 SP1.
>

> Are you building in release with _SECURE_SCL #defined to 0? If not, you have
> extra size overhead from debug and/or checked iterators being enabled.

I'm building in Debug mode with _SECURE_SCL = 0 and
_HAS_ITERATOR_DEBUGGING = 0. I'm in Debug mode so that the _Crt*
debug functions aren't compiled away since I was using those to track
memory usage.

Do you know of a better way to track memory usage in Windows? Task
Manager is obviously not up to the task, VTune reports it on a
system-wide basis, not per process, and _Crt* functions require
modifying your code.

--Michael Fawcett