Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [bjam] Generated path approaches 255 character OS limit
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-07 00:56:25

Mat Marcus wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Vladimir Prus
> <vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Mat Marcus wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
>
>> Given your point about host-os, hashing probably will solve your problem.
>> Want me to hack together an experimental patch?
>
> Sure, I'd be happy to test such a solution, thanks. I've been assuming
> that there will be a single encrypted directory name to replace much
> of a the current deeply nested path. e.g.
> .../4E56FFEC .

Right.

> If so, will there also be some way for clients to
> "unmangle" such hashes back into (full) feature lists?

This is the primary reason why this feature is not implemented, and default,
yet. We discussed that on Boost.Build list, and there were some ideas how
to make it possible to easily find what properties correspond to each build
directory. But we can implement base logic, and play with this aspect later.

> Also musing
> over the possible interactions when trying to construct human readable
> install paths using <location> in install rules.

Well <location> specifies a path, and therefore disables any automatic
path construction -- whether using the current scheme or hashes.

- Volodya