Subject: [Boost-users] Boost MPI + Serialization
From: Raymond Wan (rwan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-10 12:00:04

Hi all,

I am using Boost MPI and would like to send user-defined objects between
processes. As the Boost MPI tutorial / documentation suggests
(http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_37_0/doc/html/mpi/tutorial.html), I
should use serialization and in this document, they show an example
class gps_position which is a friend with boost::serialization::access.

So far, I understand what's going on, but I don't know what is the next
step. The example in the documentation stops there and says that the
example continues in the Serialization document. It also just mentions
that one could store it in many forms, such as XML on disk, in addition
to sending it to processes. If all I want to do is send it between
processes, which one of the formats listed in boost/archive/*.hpp should
I use? In the Serialization document, it continues by creating a
boost::archive::text_oarchive object.

But, if I am sending things like vectors of unsigned integers and
strings, a binary format should be more compact? Or does this not
matter and sticking with the Serialization example is fine?

Thank you in advance!

Ray