Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [config][build] policy for settingBOOST_HAS_THREADS?
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-11 12:11:40

joaquin_at_[hidden] wrote:
> OK, understood. Then, we have the somewhat unfortunate situation that
> in
> GCC environments
> Boost.Build links / does not link Pthreads depending on whether the
> threading parameter is multi / single,
> whereas Boost.Config does not reflect this situation in any manner!
>
> As most GCC environments (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) are
> nowadays multithreaded,
> would it make sense to change GCC Boost.Build bjam rules so that
> threading=simple results in
> BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS being defined?

Sigh... no, while that would no doubt fix a few tests, what users were
asking for (and what we now build by default) is a single binary for
gcc/*nix systems that can be used irrespective of whether they're using
threads or not. In other words we want to fix the Boost ABI to be the same
as the libstdc++ ABI, no matter whether a default threading-single build is
done or not.

Hope this is making some sense, but I don't know what the correct solution
is....

John.