Subject: Re: [Boost-users] timeconv.inl
From: Daniel Krügler (dsp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-17 03:10:46

Dan Smithers wrote:
> I am porting some inherited code to MSVS 2008
> This is also bringing along an upgrade from boost 1.32 to a newer
> version (probably 1.37).
>
> I have found a thread wrapper class in the code that uses time_to
> directly. This is defined in lib/thread/src/timeconv.inl and doesn't
> look like its meant to be used directly.

I agree with the last assertion. I'm not sure that I correctly
understand with "I have found a thread wrapper class in the code that
uses time_to directly"?! In which code or in which wrapper class?

> The original code base has timeconv.inl in the boost include directory.
>
> Was timeconv.inl moved at some point in the past?
>
> Is this as bad as I think it is?

I don't see the (bad) point - timeconv.inl was already part of
the implementation of boost 1.32, so it's existence or it's precise
location shouldn't influence your code [Note that the helper functions
are simply wrapped into an unnamed namespace w/o further surrounding
namespace].

It's now located in duplicated form in lib/thread/src/win32
and lib/thread/src/pthread. Whether this is intended, I don't know,
but it also shouldn't harm.

Greetings from Bremen,

Daniel Krügler