Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [regex] segfault from construction
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-22 11:50:01

Marshall Clow wrote:

>>> Just to confirm, this looks exactly like what I'm seeing on my end.
>>> Just to note, I can actually recreate the error just by attempting a
>>> simple:
>>>
>>> #include <boost/regex.hpp>
>>> int main() { boost::regex ("test"); return 0; }
>>>
>>> I hate to have to turn to regcomp/regexec, Boost.Regex is so nice :(
>>
>> I would suggest that one/both of you open a trac ticket with
>> configuration details
>> and your sample programs so that John will have all the information
>> he needs to find/fix it.

Indeed, and I will look into it, but... the compiler option in question
*changes the ABI of the code produced by the compiler*... so why would you
expect it *not* to segfault? The solution is to build Boost (and
Boost.Regex in particular) with the same ABI-changing compiler options as
your application.

In short code compiled with -malign-double is not binary compatible with
code compiled without it.

HTH, John.