Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [PROTO] Custom functions, scalar terminal and make_expr vs details::as_expr_if
From: Joel Falcou (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-30 12:55:20

Eric Niebler a écrit :
> With SFINAE, the error your users are likely to see is something like
> "No such function f(A,B)" followed by an exhaustive list of potential
> matches. Then your users are left to figure out for themselves why
> none of those functions are a good match.
>
> In my experience, a message like "E doesn't match the grammar G" is
> simpler, often shorter, and has the benefit of taking your users to a
> single line in your code where you can stick a big comment describing
> *why* the compile-time assertion failed.

That's a very valid position. So basically, a good ol'MPL_ASSERT_MSG
where it fits is better.
> To figure it out, just count template instantiations. You're building
> a new expression type, so you can't avoid instantiating those types.
> But make_expr is itself a template, and you can avoid that cost.

Indeed, I just did the math and the comparison (went down from 9 to 3s)

> There's one more thing I wanted to say about this. No, it doesn't
> defeat Proto's purpose. Proto provides high-level facilities so you
> can do a lot in just a little code. This is very important when you
> are just starting out with your DSEL and your code is in flux. Use
> those high-level facilities to keep your design fungible. When you're
> happy with your design, *then* you can go back and optimize for
> compile times by replacing some of the more expensive facilities with
> more efficient lower-level ones.
>
> A good example of this is transforms. Joel is using composite
> transforms (object and callable transforms, specified with function
> types) when building Spirit2x. It makes the code very small and
> nimble, and he can easily change his mind and make radical changes at
> this stage. When things are stable, he'll go through and replace all
> the composite transforms with custom primitive transforms to improve
> compile times. Does that mean composite transforms are useless? Not at
> all.
The fact is that I was running my own DSL for years now using hand made
code and lots of those 'low level' structures. I first saw Proto as a
'end-all' solution. I obviously miss the largest benefit of Proto design
which is indeed going down low level when needed.
OK, things are sensibly clearer now. Using the low level constructor was
something I thought was frowned upon. Guess I was wrong.
I'll then wait for my design to stabilize, cope with compiel-time for a
few and do as you said. Thanks you very much.

Thanks for this valuable insight.

Joel Falcou - Assistant Professor
PARALL Team - LRI - Universite Paris Sud XI
Tel : (+33)1 69 15 66 35