Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost.Build newbie
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-03 09:20:03

frederic.bron_at_[hidden] wrote:

> I have read the documentation of boost.build on boost.org and I have a few questions:

Hi Frederic,

first of all, it's best to ask Boost.Build questions on the boost-build_at_[hidden]
mailing list.

> 1.) I do not understand what's more in boost.build compared to bjam; I see no reference to
> something else than bjam in boost.build doc.

What "reference" do you mean? Pretty much everything documented in Boost.Build documentation
is a Boost.Build feature.

> 2.) Is it true that the dependencies must be
> specified manually in a Jamfile; dependenceis are not automatically found with header files. I
> understood this from this page of the doc :
> http://www.boost.org/doc/tools/build/doc/html/bbv2/tutorial/libs.html However, the example is with
> a library dependency and not with source file dependecies.

Dependencies on header files are automatically detected. Sources, of course, need to be specified.
What on that page made you think dependencies on headers are not detected?

> Today I use the makedepend utility and a bash script to build a valid Makefile. However, it is
> hard to maintain and I would like to add msvc compiler on windows and it causes me much trouble.
> Boost.build seems to do that but if I have to manually track the dependencies, I prefer to
> continue with gcc only.

You don't have to track header dependencies.

HTH,
Volodya