Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Turn off versioning in Serialization
From: Brian Nantz (brian_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-03 12:42:44

Robert,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was able to turn all the headers off but there is still one number (which seems to be thre string length) that I can not turn off. If this is unable to be turned off then I will proceed to the Case Study you mentioned.

Brian

Brian Nantz wrote:
> I am using serialization split member (save & load) and it works
> great. I am using a text archive, but I do not want the framework to
> put the "version header" in the string (e.g. 22
> serialization::archive 4 1303 ).

This is the serialization library version. When you create the
archive you can specify the flag no_header to suppress it.

I want to simply serialize the
> string and handle the versioning myself in the load function. Is
> there a way to turn this off?

THis sounds like your talking about class version - which
is different from the above. this can be suppressed on a class by
class basis. in the documentation

Reference
    Serializable Concept
        Class Serialization Traits
            Implementation level.

> If not, where can I find detailed documentation on implementing a
> custom archive or build in another type of serialization (other than
> binary and xml nvp)? I have looked through mailing lists and
> documentation but I don't see a detailed description of how to extend
> the design.

Try looking at

Case Studies
    Derivation from an existing archive cass

> Brian

Robert Ramey