Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost] [review][constrained_value] Review of Constrained Value Library begins today
From: Mika Heiskanen (mika.heiskanen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-05 10:25:54

Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
> Mika Heiskanen skrev:
>> Mathias Gaunard wrote:

>>> Because it performs checking in debug mode to make sure the invariant
>>> is indeed true.
>>
>> I do not believe boost should accept a library which would only work in
>> debug mode.
>
> How different users want to respond to errors should not be mandated by
> the library. Therefore it is very good that this library allows you to
> customize it.
>
> There is a difference between protecting against accidental misuse and
> deliberate misuse of a component. Why can rarely protect against the
> latter.
>
> Having invariants checked only in debug mode is very common, FWIW.

I did not express my thoughts very well the last time. Retry:

I am not against having invariants checked only in debug mode, if the user
so chooses. I am however against it being the default mode. I believe the
most sensible default would be to throw an exception both in debug and
release modes, since I believe this to be the most common use case.

--> Mika Heiskanen