Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Review] UUID library (mini-)review starts today, November 23rd
From: Andy Tompkins (atompkins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-06 15:18:46

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 22:05:39 -0300, "Agustín K-ballo Bergé"
<kaballo86_at_[hidden]> said:

> Andy Tompkins escribió:
> > It could easily be made static. It will _always_ return 16.
> >
> Even for architectures with chars bigger than 8 bits long? From a
> quick read of the library source code, and boost::integer
> documentation, it seems that the library would not compile there.

Hmm, can anyone verify this? I will address this if it is a problem.

What are the guarantees of the size of a byte? Is a byte always 8 bits?

> Would it make any sense in defining data_type as array< unsigned char,
> 128 / CHAR_BIT >? I'm interested in portability issues, but I have no
> access to platforms other than intel-x86, so I would like to
> hear some advice on the subject.

I also have no access to platforms other than x86. Would this work?
Would there be performance penalities on some platforms?

> Thank you.
>
> Agustín K-ballo Bergé.-

Regards, Andy Tompkins