Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost] [review][constrained_value] Review ofConstrainedValueLibrary begins today
From: Gordon Woodhull (gordon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-10 11:47:39

On Dec 9, 2008, at 9:21 AM, Jesse Perla wrote:
> I absolutely agree that if this library was purely for bounds
> testing, managing invariants, etc, that predicates are sufficient.
> But for high performance numerics, that is not what would happen.
> First of all, you would turn off automatic testing at runtime.

I think this is another good reason to allow disabling of these
asserts specifically (as opposed to disabling all boost asserts).

> But one of the key value of this library, in both release/debug, for
> those examples is to get information about the bounds and intervals
> from the type itself for generic algorithms. A predicate as a
> function can test assignment, but it can't give back structured data
> for these algorithms. If you can show me how the testing predicate
> can be easily queried within this framework for the type metadata
> itself(e.g. a list of intervals), then I will shut up.

I agree that this would be nice, but I see that as a requirement for a
predicates library. If Robert wants to work on one, that would be
super-cool, but I think that should be a separate library, because
predicates can be used for all kinds of things. Although it might
start as a child of Constrained Values...

Gordon