Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Eigenvalues
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-10 15:20:09

r89 wrote:
> It seems like Boost doesn't support eigen-analysis, is that true?

Yes and no. Your described use case (2x2 and 3x3) is not well supported.
However, there is the experimental "numeric-bindings" library in the
boost-sandbox, that provides bindings against external libraries for
eigenvalue computations like lapack, ACML or MKL. But honestly, I would
try to avoid the dependence on such external libraries if all I want are
the eigenvalues of 2x2 and 3x3 matrices.

> I've been
> using VXL/VNL for eigenanalysis, but my project must get rid of
dependencies
> on VXL/VNL, so I'm wondering what would be the easiest transition? By
the
> way, the matrices I'm dealing with are of size 2x2 and 3x3.

The library "eigen" (http://eigen.tuxfamily.org) may be for you, but you
may have the same dependency problem with it as with VXL/VNL. (I have no
idea why your project must get rid of dependencies on VXL/VNL, so I
can't tell whether your project will have the same problems with
"eigen".)

Regards,
Thomas