Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [bind] code sample crashing MS compiler
From: Bill Buklis (boostuser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-19 19:11:24

> This following code sample will crash the MS compiler version 8. I
> hope there are some MS folks reading this mailing list, since I have
> no idea where else to post this.
>
> #include <boost/bind.hpp>
>
> struct A
> {
> void operator() ()
> {
> boost::bind( &A::lookup, *this, unsigned char() )();
> }
>
> void lookup( unsigned char& c ) {}
> };
>
> int main(int argc, char* argv[])
> {
> A()();
>
> return 0;
> }
>
> I know the code is not suppose to compile. Uncommenting the this
> pointer in the bind construct will make the code compile fine.

The proper place to post Microsoft bugs (for any product) is at
http://connect.microsoft.com. Look for the "Visual Studio and .NET
Framework" section and file a bug report there. They will look at. They
always do. Whether or not they actually do anything about it or not is
another story.

I suggest that you try compiling it in VS2008 (express edition if you don't
have it) or even better with the VS2010 CTP preview. If the bug still
exists, then that's where they'll most likely fix it (in VS2010).

-- Bill --