Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::interprocess shared memory performance
From: Zeljko Vrba (zvrba_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-28 08:18:19

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 01:02:22PM +0100, Ion Gaztañaga wrote:
> Andy Wiese wrote:
> >Does managed_shared_memory really need to call msync?
>
> I don't know. Maybe even managed_mapped_file shouldn't call flush() in

Sorry to jump into the discussion. Here's a quote from the manual:

       msync() flushes changes made to the in-core copy of a file that was
       mapped into memory using mmap(2) back to disk. Without use of this
       call there is no guarantee that changes are written back before mun-
       map(2) is called.

> >like to keep indexes of the data to speed query resolution. The utility
> >is old-school cgi, so all its resources (such as indexes) have to be
> >instantiated into memory each time the cgi process is started. I could

Have you (Andy) considered to use FastCGI? It's still a regular CGI, just
that it's a long-running process instead of a one-shot process. So the
overheads will be amortized over several requests.