Subject: Re: [Boost-users] release vs. debug build
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-02 17:01:10

Steven Watanabe wrote:
> Automatic linking uses _DEBUG to decide which library to link to.

This is very interesting. Up to now I thought that only NDEBUG is "important", i.e. I considered _DEBUG as some sort of nuisance introduced gratuitously by VC. But then, I also consider auto-linking as some sort of nuisance, so maybe it really makes sense to use _DEBUG to control auto-linking. However, I would rather recommend to disable auto-linking then, I guess by defining BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB since:

John Maddock wrote:
> By default with msvc the headers will try to "auto-link" to the libraries
> that get built if you do a regular build and install with bjam. Otherwise
> please define BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB when building your app to disable the
> auto-link feature.

Regards,
Thomas