Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [interprocess] support for private mappings?
From: Zeljko Vrba (zvrba_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-03 02:59:12

On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 12:52:49AM +0100, Ion Gaztañaga wrote:

> You can also use lower level mapped_region for copy-on-write file
> mappings using mode_t = copy_on_write.

Cool, thank you!

So the following should work (I'm not using managed SHM)?

file_mapping fm_("myfile", read_only);
mapped_region mr_(fm_, copy_on_write);

Some suggestions for documentation improvements (IMHO):

This page in the reference documentation

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_37_0/doc/html/boost/interprocess/mapped_region.html

does not mention the copy_on_write mode; it would be very helpful if that mode
were mentioned there.

I also feel that it would be more natural if the section you quoted were moved
to the "Sharing memory between processes" chapter because that mode is an
inherent property of mapped files (generic OS mechanism), not of managed shared
memory (particular framework implemented by your library).