Subject: [Boost-users] more Boost::Units questions
From: Mark Volkmann (mark_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-09 18:16:56

My biggest issue is that my recent software development experience has
involved using Java much more than C++ and I'm trying to learn how to
use a C++ library that makes pretty heavy use of templates. Is there a
tutorial somewhere that shows examples of doing basic things with this
library? The kind of things I'm trying to figure out are:

- What is the difference between a "measurement" and a "quantity"? Is
it that the former doesn't specify a unit?

- Does the library provide functions for converting between different
units? ... for example, converting from miles to kilometers. If not,
is there a recommended way to do this?

- Can I only add quantities that have the same unit or can I add ones
with different units and the library will handle conversions for me?

- How can I extract the numeric value from a quantity?

- How can I extract the unit type from a quantity?

Thanks!

---
Mark Volkmann