Subject: [Boost-users] [pool] swap function
From: Simon Brown (si_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-17 05:22:30

Hi,

I'm using boost::pool for unordered malloc/free and find myself
wanting two additional features:

* A nothrow swap function (c.f. scoped_ptr) to swap two pools with
equal chunk size. This is a bit of a show-stopper for me at the
moment, as I don't want to add the extra level of indirection from
allocating the pool object itself on the heap. Has anyone already
implemented this for boost::pool, or know if it is on the roadmap for
a future release?

* A function to reset the pool, but without actually deallocating the
memory blocks. This would be the same functionality as purge_memory,
but without deallocation. Perhaps "purge_chunks" is a reasonable name
for this feature? This isn't a show-stopper, but I want to reset
everything and allocate a similar numbe of objects, and having good
cache coherency for the allocations would be a benefit. Again, before
I delve into the internals, has anyone already had a go at this?

Many thanks,
Simon