Subject: [Boost-users] Build Boost 1.37 under Solaris 10 - what is the best way
From: Georg Sauthoff (g_sauthoff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-27 17:30:40

Hi,

I built boost under Solaris with the Sun C++ compiler 12. To summarize the
experience: informations are very much scattered around in the boost
documentation/web pages and you have to learn bjam

Finally I did it like this:
$ ./configure --prefix=/my/prefix \
  --with-libraries=test,program_options --with-toolset=sun

$ cat > user-config.jam
using sun : 5.9 : CC : <cxxflags>"-library=stlport4 -features=tmplife -features=tmplrefstatic -O" <linkflags>-library=stlport4 ;
^D

$ ./tools/jam/src/bin.solaris/bjam -sICU_PATH=/usr \
   --user-config=user-config.jam --with-test --with-program_options \
   address-model=64 -d3

$ ./tools/jam/src/bin.solaris/bjam -sICU_PATH=/usr \
  --user-config=user-config.jam --with-test --with-program_options \
  address-model=64 \
  -d3 --prefix=/my/prefix install

My software works so far with this compiled version of boost under
Solaris 10.

Well, is this the right/best/official/boost/bjam-way to build boost on
Solaris 10?

The default sun toolset-settings does not seem to include even
'-library=stlport4' option, although the Sun CC is infamous for its
nonconforming STL implementation which is selected by default.

Is it possible to improve the sun bjam toolset in such a way, that it
selects -features=tmplife by default, if it detects that CC is of
version 5.9?

And is it possible to select the addresss-model=64 property via
the ./configure command line?

Is there is a './configure --help' aequivalent for bjam to display the
options of the current toolset without reading the bjam toolset source?

Best regards
Georg Sauthoff