Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Quickbook] How to create pdf file
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-29 09:03:07

>> To build a PDF for library X, then cd into libs/X/doc
>
> I'm not aware of this before. That's why I was bjam'ing in the boost
> root folder and could not get the desired result.
>
> This time I select the ASIO for a trial. Things seems to work well and
> at last I get
> " ... updated 187 targets..."
>
> I noticed that there created a new html folder under the asio/doc
> folder, and the boost_1_37_0/bin/v2 also appears, but I just could not
> find the pdf doc file. Am I still missing anything?

If you do:

bjam

or

bjam html

then you get html docs under ./html, you need to do a

bjam pdf

to get a pdf, and it will be located in a deep subdirectory of the bin.v2
path (look at the final output messages from the FO processor to see exactly
where).

I realise this ideal, it's possible to modify the Jamfile to automatically
copy the pdf into the current directory, but we haven't got that properly
organised yet :-(

>> and do a:
>>
>> bjam pdf
>>
>> start with something small and easy like static_assert, or else there's a
> "test
>> everything" project in doc/test.
>>
>> Also note that not all Boost libraries are documented with
>> quickbook/boostbook/docbook so your mileage may vary.
>
> Yes, this is a problem that I might be aware before. But is there a plan
> to impose more restrict/unified requirements on coding/docing of the
> libs? With it, more uniform appearance/feeling, as well as higher
> managability
> and lower learning curve for user will be colser, I guess.

I don't think we'll do that, we just don't want to impose such a long and
fragile toolchain on people at present (although most new submissions *are*
using quickbook which is good to see). I guess if the tools improve we
*might* revisit that,

HTH, John.