Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::interprocess::managed_mapped_file and cross arch?
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-06 12:44:05

Ben Martin wrote:
> Hi,
> Has anyone got any tips on using
> boost::interprocess::managed_mapped_file with the
> managed_mapped_file::segment_manager allocators and the
> boost/interprocess/containers in a memory mapped file which can be used
> across x64 and arm platforms?
>
> As everything should be using offset pointers, I get the feeling that
> there should be some way to make this cross platform utopia happen but
> thought I'd ask before serious tinkering attempts.

Sorry, but allocators and other structures built in shared memory have
platform-dependent types and alignment so having a portable memory
mapped file is not possible right now.

I consider it a very good improvement for Interprocess. The downside is
that that would require a total rewrite of the library, since all
classes (containers, allocators, memory algorithms) have
platform/compiler dependent sizes.

Regards,

Ion