Subject: [Boost-users] boost interprocess / shared memory question
From: Naveen Santhanam (naveen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-13 16:03:32

Hello,

We have a windows application (a process) that requires a large data
file (approx. 100 MB) to perform a task. We have a master that launches
several instances of this application. We would like to share the large
data file across the processes such that, there is just one instance of
the data file in physical memory without any disc access. Hence each
application will have a small footprint in memory during execution. We
have tried using a managed shared memory object from the
boost::interprocess library to achieve this. However, this doesn't help
us as the memory footprint of the application goes up upon access of the
data file. Is there a way to achieve the desired single footprint
memory sharing? Does this work as expected with other OSes?

Naveen