Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [program options] access violation with _SECURE_SCL turned off
From: Peter Bartlett (pete_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-18 06:51:26

Quoting klaus triendl <klaus_at_triendl.eu>:

> Juergen Hunold schrieb:
>> Hi !
>>
>> On Tuesday 17 February 2009, klaus triendl wrote:
>>> I'm using the boost 1.36 program options library on windows with
>>> msvc++2008, statically linked to my applications.
>>
>> Did you build Boost yourself ?
> [...]
>>> Any solutions?
>>
>> Of course, re-compile Boost in release mode with _SECURE_SCL=0.
>> The developer list has two or three threads about a general solution,
>> including different name mangling. Just search the archives...
>

> I didn't build boost myself, until now...
> Thanks for your answer, that helped me a lot!

I naively built boost with a D_SECURE_SCL=0 on the bjam command line recently.
It became the source of crashes even more confusing than those the
original poster found. I believe, but never truly determined, that the
define was being propagated to some but not all build targets.

If you are going down this route, I recommend you investigate the
feature approach of Thorsten Ottosen :
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/185987 . I
understand it avoids these problems but haven't yet had time to
confirm that myself.

Pete