Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost and Real Time
From: Tim St. Clair (timothysc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-18 14:28:28

Brian -

    You pose a very broad set of questions, whose only answer would be
another set of questions. (It depends on what you are doing...) I use
boost in numerous "real time/embedded" environments (VxWorks, Linux, ...)
and find the extensibility is a greater advantage to "gut-busting"
performance, but again this depends upon what you are doing.

    First thing you should do is evaluate compiler support and attempt to
build the libraries. Vlad has instructions on cross-build environments, or
you can chroot, or kvm, it's up to you how you wish to build. You may come
across some anomalies with some libraries, and the users & build group can
help you with that.

   Next I would be to take a serious look at your requirements and the
problem domain. It's been my experience that "real-time" usually involves
small sub-sections of code which are super important, and mountains of other
code for doing other things. For that mountain of other code, I would
suggest using boost where it "makes sense".

Good Luck,
Tim