Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [multi_array] Why the precondition on assignment?
From: Peter Barker (newbarker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-25 04:52:29

Thomas: You're right - I was hoping to get some feedback on it. It was
bugging me because I thought I missed something obvious.

Alfredo: Thanks for highlighting the conflicting design goals of
avoiding reallocation and expected semantics. My vote would definitely
be for the expected semantics because if the assignment is present in
the program, then the programmer probably knows what they're doing.
More importantly, it would avoid the maintenance burden of
implementing operator= in classes that have multi_array instances as
members.

Thanks both!

Regards,

Pete