Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Upgrade from Boost v1.37.0 to v1.38.0
From: biolaser (biolaser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-27 10:47:06

Thanks Stuart!

-----Original Message-----
From: boost-users-bounces_at_[hidden]
[mailto:boost-users-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Stuart Dootson
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 2:12 AM
To: boost-users_at_[hidden]

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 5:29 AM, biolaser <biolaser_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I have Boost v1.37.0 installed on Windows XP with Visual Studio v7.1 - is
> there an upgrade path to v1.38.0, or must I remove v1.37.0 and install
> v1.38.0 from scratch?
>

> William

Strictly neither - so long as you have the 1.38.0 include folder
separate from the 1.37.0 include folder and use the libraries with
version numbers embedded in the name, you can have both installed at
once.

I have 1.32.0-1.38.0 inclusive on my Windows PC @ work, for VC++2003,
2005 and 2008. I installed 1.37.0 and 1.38.0 for VC++2003 with the
following command line (invoked in the relevant Boost distribution's
root directory) and they seem fine:

bjam --toolset=msvc-7.1 --prefix=d:\lib\boost --build-type=complete install

The include files got copied into d:\lib\boost\include\boost-1_37 and
d:\lib\boost\include\boost-1_38 respectively, while the lib files were
installed into d:\lib\boost\lib (there are no subdirectories because
the version numbers differentiate the libraries from different Boost
versions).

How do I manage Boost versions in Visual Studio? For VC++2003, I use
Solution Build Environment
(http://workspacewhiz.com/SolutionBuildEnvironmentReadme.html) to
define environment variables in a solution wide file that I can then
incorporate into compiler and linker settings. This allows the Boost
version to be changed by altering a single text file. For VC++2005/8,
I use Property Sheets
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a4xbdz1e.aspx) which let you
add compiler/linker settings to a project. I simply have a different
property sheet for each Boost version, and simply add the appropriate
property sheet into the solution.

HTH
Stuart Dootson