Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [lexical_cast] Locales.
From: Alexander Nasonov (alnsn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-02 11:31:07

Emre Turkay <emreturkay2 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I wonder if there is a downside of adding an optional std::locale
> argument to lexical_cast?

An optional agrument for default value had been recently discussed:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/184795

It was best summarized by David Abrahams:
> lexical_cast is conceptually simple and should remain that way.
> The proper interface for the functionality you seek should be considered
> without reference to lexical_cast.
>
> In fact, if we put together all the badly needed functionality that
> overlaps with lexical_cast, and give it appropriate interfaces, I'm not
> entirely convinced that there would be much use for lexical_cast
> anymore.

Kevlin Henney (the author of lexical_cast) is not convinced too:
(from off-list conversation)
> Yes, agreed. This suggestion has come up before and, although a useful
> idea, it is slightly beyond the scope of what lexical_cast should be doing.
>
> Over time there have been many little suggestions like this that, had
> they been accepted, would have led to severe scope drift in
> lexical_cast, turning it into something that would rival I/O streams and
> locales for complexity!
>
> I think this is the kind of facility that is better offered by a more
> dedicated family of conversion functions with richer interfaces.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kevlin

Good news is that Vladimir is developing a richer interface.
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/186191/

You can discuss your idea with him.

Thanks,
Alex