Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost.serialization, asio and iostreams...
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-03 19:12:01

Hajo Kirchhoff wrote:

> My idea is to require all objects be derived from a common polymorphic
> base and then serialize a pointer to the object. The archive would
> serialize the entire object and also send type information with it, so
> the receiver could reconstruct the object simply by receiving a
> pointer.

all this automatically done by the library. There is no need
to derive from a common base class.

> For this in order to work I would need to disable tracking for
> 'my_command'. Otherwise only the very first instance of archive <<
> &dosomething would actually send something.

You can easily disable tracking on a type by type basis.

> Question: Can I 'reset' the binary archive such that the tracking
> information is reset, but not the type information? Or can I
> temporarily disable tracking for a class or for the next save/load
> operation?

why not just disable tracking for the types you want to resend?

> I don't want to globally disable tracking for my_command, because I
> cannot rule out that someone might actually want tracking for their
> object in a different archive (such as saving settings to disk).

currently one can't have it both ways. The issue of disabling tracking has
recently been raised. Perhaps you want to make a TRAK item requesting
this feature.

Robert Ramey