Subject: [Boost-users] Static linking/GCC 4.3.2 on Linux (-fPIC missing?)
From: Anteru (newsgroups_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-06 10:17:40

Hi,

I've been using Boost 1.37 so far on Linux, and linked some libraries
statically into a shared library. That is, I have a .so (Foo.so), which
statically links in Boost.Filesystem (among others).

Yesterday I tried to compile Boost 1.38 for Linux, everything worked
fine, but as soon as it got to linking my .so, GCC stops as
Boost.Filesystem has not been compiled with -fPIC. I don't remember I
had to set -fPIC on 1.37 though.

Setting cxxflags=-fPIC obviously solves the problem (along with a
recompile of Boost), so my question is: Is this a regression? Did I miss
something? The environment is Linux with GCC 4.3.2, on x64.

Cheers,
  Anteru