Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Options for --build-type
From: Jurko Gospodnetić (jurko.gospodnetic_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-07 14:16:36

   Hi Juan.

> I'm building boost and was wondering other than --build-type=complete
> what are the other options. Disk usage approaches 40 gigs with the
> complete option.

   Well you can pick and choose whatever part of the build you need.
Just specify the correct build features on the command line.

   For example, requesting 'variant=debug,release runtime-link=static
link=shared lib1 lib2 lib3' to be built will generate release and debug
dll versions of libraries lib1, lib2 & lib3 with statically linked
runtime libraries. Check out the Boost Build documentation for a
detailed list of available features you can set, but in general you set
them as feature=value.

   --build-type=complete is just a shortcut for listing a lot of these
options at once, and thus getting a lot of different build variants for
a lot of libraries built at once.

   Also, note that if you use the stage option (with --stagedir=..., see
the Boost library's Jamroot.jam file for details), and you do not need
to debug or rebuild the libraries then you can free up some space by
deleting the used bin (or is it bin.v2, not sure atm, but should be easy
to check :-)) folder after the build is done. That folder holds only
intermediate build targets like object files or .dll's that got copied
to the staging folder.

   Hope this helps.

   Best regards,
     Jurko Gospodnetić