Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [interprocess] Memory mapped file based allocator
From: dhruva (dhruva_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-10 23:41:39

Hello, ----- Original Message ---- > From: Stuart Dootson <stuart.dootson_at_[hidden]> > > I am looking for a memory mapped file based allocator that does not map the > whole file into memory. The size may be huge and I would not want to map all the > One solution (which I've used with files of gigabyte size) that you > could consider is writing a class to encapsulate memory mapped files > that exposes the file contents only through a custom iterator class. > These could work together to map and unmap portions of the file as the > iterator position crosses 'page' boundaries. This would give you > something close to on-demand paging. Thank you for the suggestion. I have implemented it on windows using SEH (structured exception handling). Is there something similar in the UNIX world. Adding a signal handler will be for the whole process, I need to check if there is a way to add a signal handler for a specific thread that is doing the read/write and perform the unmap and map sequence to keep moving the read/write window. This would be a great feature to have it tucked somewhere in BOOST. Reading/writing large files is quite common. If I succeed in putting in a solution that works on M$ and NIX world, I will post it. -dhruva Connect with friends all over the world. Get Yahoo! India Messenger at http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/?wm=n/