Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [asio] io_service threadpool performance
From: Rutger ter Borg (rutger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-14 04:46:58

Vjekoslav Brajkovic wrote:

>> posting
>> 10 M jobs to the io_service, and starting N threads at io_service::run
>> after that. Timings below are measured on an 8-core machine, I would
>> expect
>
> I suppose you are the one instantiating the connection.

This is apart from any connection, it's measuring io_service as a pure job
dispatcher.

> I had the same exact symptoms a week ago... not sure if this is the same
> problem. However instead of using threadpool, I was using
> thread_group(). The pseudo code looked something like this:

Interesting -- what would be the expected performance difference between a
thread group and a pool of threads?

> I haven't had time to investigate what was causing the issue.

Do you know if all of io_service's jobs are dispatched through a
platform-specific dispatcher, e.g., epoll?

Thanks,

Rutger