Subject: [Boost-users] [Q] better 'typedef'
From: V S P (toreason_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-24 00:20:33

I have read somewhere that boost provides
a better typedef.

Something that allows to use the 'underlying class' but it is not a
macro

for example
I want to define

typedef std::wstring cvarchar_t

to use for ODBC/Unicode db access (on win32)

and then specialize some templates for this type
that would behave differently then wstring

I cannot remember what that mechanism was called.

Also, sorry, for mixing this question in: is
UTF-8 a more 'standard' encoding if I want to interface from my
C++/boost programs to ODBC and to Boost.Python on Windows and FreeBSD

(I have problems figuring out how to support the difference between
UTF-16
on windows/wstring and Unix UTF-32 wstring ... while the unicode ODBC
drivers are all 2-byte strings)

thanks in advance

--
  V S P