Subject: [Boost-users] Thread local storage
From: Oliver Abert (abert_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-29 11:51:20

Hi Everyone,

I am using Boost Threads (1.38) as threading library and I also use
the thread_specific_ptr to store a minor amount of data per thread (I
think currently it is like 5 different pointer values per thread).
Technically everything works out fine, but I am having a performance
problem on Mac OS X. On Linux the performance is 10 times faster than
on Mac OS. If I use pthreads on Mac OS I have identical performance to
the Linux version. Both versions are running on the same machine using
8 threads both.

Is there any known problem with shared pointers on Mac OS? I have
tried different versions of boost, compiled it myself and also used
macports - every time same results on Mac OS. Any hit or possible
workaround is very welcome :)

Thanks and regards,

Oliver