Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [interprocess] named mutex clean up
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-08 10:15:03

peter_foelsche_at_[hidden] wrote:
>> Chard wrote:
>>> Does calling named_mutex::remove() have consistent cross-platform be
>> haviour?
>>
>> No until the next Boost version. The UNIX behaviour will be the chosen
>> behaviour: you can remove in-use named resources (named mutex, shared
>> memory...)
>
> I don't think the philosophy of boost should be influenced by the sick philosophy of the various UNIXs.
> Please do exploit modern operating system advantages if they are available.

My intention is just providing portability. "Create and unlink" named
resources are usual in UNIX systems and I find them quite useful. And
shared_memory is modeled after POSIX shared memory, that's why I wanted
to provide a more homogeneous behaviour with the library. This
portability was also requested by some users, but who knows, this might
be a step in the wrong direction.

Why do you think this unlink behaviour is worse than "file in use" error
in windows?

Best,

Ion