Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Linking with dynamic boost thread library
From: Green, Jason M NSWCDL, W33 (jason.m.green3_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-09 08:03:29

Steve,
Welcome to my world. I spend a lot of time confused.

Assume that I have a directory (GLOBALS/Boost). I point to this directory
in VC as a library directory.

In another directory I have boost*.lib, libboost*.lib, and boost*.dll.

I copied the boost*.lib into my GLOBALS/Boost, then compiled and ran. That
worked.

I moved that library back out, and put libboost*.lib in. I then put the
#define BOOST_REGEX_DYN_LINK at the top of my .cpp file. That compiled and
worked.

Finally, I moved out the libboost.lib back out and put the boost*.dll into
that directory. I tried compiling and that is when I got the link error
saying that it cannot find boost*.lib

If the program compiles and runs the same only based on whether boost*.lib
is there, what function does the boost*.dll serve

This is where I'm confused? I scoured my drive to make sure there weren't
boost*.dll /*.lib floating around and I deleted them all.

Jason