Subject: [Boost-users] [interprocess] synchronize startup
From: Brent Arias (Brent.Arias_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-09 19:21:36

Researching boost user archives, I see this has been discussed before...but I'm not sure a clear answer was decided.

What is the *recommended* way to have several processes synchronize their initialization, before using shared memory. Consider this example problem:

1) several writers to a boost.interprocess.message_queue will use "open_only" and need to wait until the queue is created (otherwise an exception will be thrown).
2) one reader of a boost.interprocess.message_queue will use "open_or_create" and then somehow signal other processes that the queue is now ready to be opened.

The question is: what is the recommended way for the signal to be given to the other processes?

Brent Arias