Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Disabling Exception Handling
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-14 12:58:33

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Noah Roberts <roberts.noah_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Dykstra, Martin wrote:
>> Is there a way to disable the exception handling in the Boost libraries?
>>  Our project requires that we disable exceptions by using the -no-exceptions
>> parameter when building (via gcc).  Is this also a valid parameter to use
>> when building the Boost libraries?
>
> I used to have to live under the same silly coding standard.  Eventually I
> was able to convince the rest of the team, except the one guy who had the
> power to make such decisions, that we were being really silly.  We *were*
> linking to the standard library so any supposed benefit of not using
> exceptions was lost (and I don't buy the supposed benefits either).
>  Eventually that guy quit; best thing to ever happen to us actually.

The problem is that "the guy in charge" may not quit (or the platform
you're targeting may not support exceptions) and in that case it is
reasonable to make an effort to use STL or Boost.

The other problem is that guys in charge who don't like exceptions
usually don't like STL or Boost either. :)

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.