Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [interprocess] 32 to 64 bit ?
From: Zeljko Vrba (zvrba_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-20 12:52:49

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 07:53:47AM -0700, Allen Cronce wrote:

> of problems in our current project, until I saw this post. We have to
> support 32 and 64 bit binaries. Falling back to using the low level

On the same machine, under the same OS? Out of curiosity, what circumstances
force you to share memory between 32- and 64-bit processes? Are all
participant processes developed by you?

> process would not be addressable in 32 bits. But I doubt that people
> are really using this library to share address spaces larger than 4
> gig. More than likely developers want to share comparatively small

The limit is much less than 4G. Kernel wants some share of address space
for itself, all (priavte) memory allocations eat up address space, add to
that potential file mappings.. But this is an inherent problem with 32-bit
address spaces.