Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost 1.38.0 and gcc 4.3.2
From: Brian Webb (webbbn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-25 10:55:58

>> I'm trying to build the boost libraries on Ubuntu 8.10 with gcc-4.3.2,
>> and it's a mess!  I think there are more failed compiles than there
>> are successes.  Is there something that I'm missing, or is this
>> currently unsupported?
>>
>> This is the compile command that I'm using:
>>
>> bjam --toolset=gcc --prefix=$PREFIX --layout=system
>> --user-config=`pwd`/user-config.jam stage
>>
>> This is user-config.jam:
>>
>> using gcc : : g++  : <compileflags>-I/swl/ix86-linux/include
>> <linkflags>-L/swl/ix86-linux/lib ;
>> using mpi ;
>>
>> Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Pointers to what? There's no "building Boost on Ubuntu" guide, in part because
> it just works.
> You did not give a single error message, and did not explain why you're
> adding some scary include and linker paths.

Thanks for the help. It turns out that the problem was the "scary
include and linker paths." I'm using those to find dependencies
(bzip2, zlib, python, etc) in non-standard directories. As it turns
out, there was an older version of boost (1.34.1) in those
directories. Apparently the older boost include files were getting
picked up prior to the new ones. Is there a better way of adding
additional include and library paths that will insert the paths in the
correct order? Just removing the old version appears to be working,
but I would like to know the correct way of doing this if there is a
better way.