Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Multi Index: Nested std::pair
From: Etienne Philip Pretorius (icewolfhunter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-27 06:09:18

> Does this approach your goal? Please find attached a complete test
> program.

Just a quick thought...

Would this approach not be slow?

As the program needs to run through all the values on every loop to find
*distinct* values per row/column. If I had 65536 (256 rows by 256
columns) elements in the container, it would have been nice if I could
have the container indexed it in such a way as what you proposed. The
container could then effectively used a caching mechanism, because if I
delete a row then all columns are effected but only one row is effected
(the one I deleted), likewise if it was a column that I deleted. So at
most 257 values would have to updated.

The serious overhead comes when I delete per value but that is the cost
of the algo and there is nothing that can be done for it.

Grateful,
Etienne.