Subject: [Boost-users] [Serialization] Getting crash in serialization library specific to Linux and 1.37
From: Reusser, Edward (Edward.Reusser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-29 18:00:55

I created several DLL's that save and restore data using the serialization library. These libraries can be used on both the Windows and Linux and have been quite reliable since they were first created using the 1.34 boost release. The purpose of these libraries is to read and write serialized versions of our projects. We are using both XML and Text archives. The problem I am now looking at is in reading a Text archive.

We recently upgraded to boost release 1.37. On Windows we are still using the 7.1 compiler, while on Linux we are using the gcc 3.2 compiler. We had previoously upgraded compilers without any problems, so its not a compiler upgrade issue.

Upon upgrading to boost release 1.37, everything has continued to work just fine on Windows. However in the Linux builds, any designs written with the older 1.34 boost release now cause segmentation faults when being read with the more recent build. I have attached a stack trace.

To complicate this picture, I can take a project written using the older 1.34 release on Linux, read it in Windows, then write it using Windows, then read it just fine in the new Linux build.

Any ideas?

Edward Reusser
Principal Engineer
Actel Corporation
(650) 318-4972

The information contained in or attached to this email may be subject to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), administered by the U.S. Department of Commerce, or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), administered by the U.S. Department of State, and may require an export license from the Commerce or State Department prior to its export. An export can include a release or disclosure to a foreign national inside or outside the United States. Include this notice with any reproduced portion of this information.