Subject: Re: [Boost-users] General C++: Class Method Signatures Miss-Match
From: Etienne Philip Pretorius (icewolfhunter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-01 11:38:53

Rodrigo Madera wrote:
> I know this is not the best source, but it will shed some light:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wt3s3k55(VS.80).aspx
>
> You shouldn't be creating your own wide string class unless you have a
> really good reason not to use wstring.
>
> Regards,
> Madera

Thank you.

I figured it out.
When I called the substr method of unicode::string is was accessing
std::basic_string<unicode_point>::substr and therefore returning
std::basic_string<unicode_point> type. I will just override that with my
own class method.

Wide chars as far as I know are different from platform to platform.
Microsoft uses 16 bit wide chars while *nix uses 32 bit wide chars. And
for unicode I need at least 21 bits.

Etienne