Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Xpressive, symantic actions and combination enumeration
From: Lee Simpson (L33Simpson+boostuser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-06 05:52:39

Damn. I've just implemented the whole algorithm using your suggested
approach, and I've come across a problem.I don't have a simple way to
describe my dilemma, so a complex way will ave to do :-/

First of, I'll describe the way I have implemented your suggestion.
First off, I utilize an expression of the form ((s1 = expr) >>
keep(nil[action(_,...)])) for each significant component of the expression.
At the very end of the expression I add keep(nil[consolidate_combination(...)])
>> ~before(nil), which ensures that all combinations are tried.
Of course, this solution is fundamentally flawed. This is because each
action is executed immediately and thus leaves garbage state information
around when the expression backtracks and attempts a different match.

I see that your example does not suffer from this flaw since the example
expression is quite linear and does not contain many significant components
(read: captures). Unfortunately, I need to be able to apply this to
arbitrarily complex expressions.

Ideally I would like to add a function which looks like the 'keep' function,
but does not turn off backtracking. Such that i could do something like the
following:

expr = apply( (+alpha)[action_a(_,...)] >> ((+alpha)[action_b(_,...)] |
(+alnum)[action_c(_,...)]) >> eos >> nil[consolidate]) >> ~before(nil);

the idea being that action_a/action_b/action_c store state
information, consolidate
gathers up that state information (resetting it for the next combination)
and apply would execute all the semantic actions currently queued within it.

I have been looking into the implementation details of xpressive and it
seems that what I need to do is somehow apply a slightly modified version of
xpressive::detail::end_matcher to the expression. Of course, I have no idea
how this would best be achieved so I would need your help to do such a
thing.

I hope this description is adequate, but I'm sure it probably not. Let me
know if/where it needs more explaining.

Thanks,
Lee Simpson

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Lee Simpson
<L33Simpson+boostuser_at_[hidden]<L33Simpson%2Bboostuser_at_[hidden]>