Subject: [Boost-users] boost - asio - advise
From: Tim Pynegar (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-09 15:09:47

Hi,

I'm trying to use asio for a udp client / server arrangment. I started
by calling run on the
io_service object on a separate thread and the using the async_read_from
and the
async_send_to. I was calling these from the main application thread. I
was getting a lot
of these errors that was causing an exception on the io_service run method.

First-chance exception at 0x7c812afb in Testbed.exe: Microsoft C++
exception: boost::system::system_error at memory location 0x0012e29c. An
invalid argument was supplied

This happens after calling the async_send_to method. I've added in a
send buffer and
started to poll the io_service object instead of running it on it's own
thread which
has cut down the freqency this is happening however on occations it
still does and i'd
like to have it running on it's own thread.

The question is really should i put in a mutex lock in my sendto
function that call's the
async_send_to that is unlocked when i recieve the handlesentto callback
that's called
when the async_send_to is finished. If i do this doesn't this basically
make it a blocking
function call in the same way as if i call the regular send_to function.
There are other
options i've thought of but they all seem to result in it basically
becoming blocking.

I've looked through the examples and there is a lot of different
potential choices
to make and was looking to see if anyone could advise on an arrangement
that would
allow for using multiple threads but block as little as possible.

Thanks,
Tim.