Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [thread] mixing boost::mutex from different boost versions
From: Anthony Williams (anthony.ajw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-10 17:48:29

klaus triendl <klaus_at_triendl.eu> writes:

> are boost::mutexes from different boost versions ABI compatible,
> provided that the modules (boost thread library, my own) are compiled
> with the same compiler?

In general, no. In particular cases, yes: the boost::mutex
implementation changes very rarely.

The breaking changes I can remember were 1.34.1/1.35.0 and
1.35.0/1.36.0

> My question arises because I'm creating a windows DLL with class
> methods taking a boost::mutex& from let's say boost 1.38, but an
> application (the EXE) might use e.g. boost 1.39.

Boost 1.38 and 1.39 should be compatible; the code is almost completely
unchanged (I think there was a fix for some broken code, but the old
version was broken).

Anthony

--
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action | http://www.manning.com/williams