Subject: Re: [Boost-users] iterators must go
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-13 02:18:07

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 09:24, Neal Becker <ndbecker2_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Interesting presentation:
>
> http://www.boostcon.com/site-
> media/var/sphene/sphwiki/attachment/2009/05/08/iterators-must-go.pdf

Very persuasive, but it's careful to touch only the examples that look
nice. Note, for example, that every range was a whole container.

The three-iterators part was somewhat handwaved-over as well. Take
this bit of current code, for example:

    auto i = find(c.begin(), c.end(), some_pred());
    rotate(c.begin(), i, c.end());

How do you do that nicely with ranges, when he has find returning a
range? (Since right now, it implicitly actually returns 2 ranges.)

And how does insertion work? Do we still need to keep the iterators
around for insertion position?

I'd love to see the finicky bits worked out, though, since I do like the idea.

~ Scott