Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Build boost on msvc7.1 without native wchar_t
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-14 14:32:52

matthias_0 wrote:

> Vladimir Prus-3 wrote:
>>
>> matthias_0 wrote:
>>>
>>> I try to compile boost using bjam and toolset=msvc-7.1. To comply with
>>> the
>>> rest of our libraries I need boost to build without the native wchar_t
>>> type.
>>>
>>> So far none of the solutions I have found seem to work
>>> ("snative-wchar_t=off", "-sBUILD=<native-wchar_t>off")
>>>
>>> In boost\tools\v2\tools\msvc.jam I found a line that adds /Zc:wchar_t to
>>> the
>>> CFLAGS. Removing that entry didn't help either.
>>
>> I imagine because native wchar_t is now the default -- you would have to
>> replace
>> that option with the one that explicitly calls for non-native wchar_t.
>>

> In VC 7.1 there is no explicit option to switch of native wchar_t (as
> opposed to VC8 and newer, where a /Zc:wchar_t- exists). So as long as some
> default mechanism in boost build adds the native wchar option,

You said above you are hacking that mechanism. Specifically, this line in
msvc.jam:

        toolset.flags $(toolset).compile CFLAGS $(conditions) : /Zc:forScope /Zc:wchar_t ;

This is the only place where this option is added. If you removed it there, did you
cleaned & rebuilt everything? (Use bjam --clean). You can use "bjam -n" to see
the commands that are executed, and check if that option is still passed or not.

- Volodya